Home Economics prepares young people for independent living. Pupils acquire knowledge, understanding and practical skills in areas such as diet, food choice, family, financial and consumer awareness.
- develop the knowledge, understanding and skills (including practical skills) required for working for independent living
- develop a critical and analytical approach to decision making and problem solving
- apply their knowledge and understanding in a variety of contexts
- have the opportunity to build on the skills and capabilities developed at Key Stage 3
- manage their own time and work outcomes
- work with others on a range of activities
- explore, analyse, evaluate and justify decisions
Key Stage 3
Pupils have the opportunity to explore these issues leading them to develop transferable and cross curricular skills. At Key Stage 3 Home Economics focuses on three key concepts:
- Healthy Eating
- Home and Family Life
- Independent Living
In Years 8, 9 and 10 pupils get the opportunity to examine key concepts in relation to healthy eating, home and family life and independent living. Year 8, 9 and 10 is divided into a series of units which are designed to be enjoyable, challenging and relevant for our pupils.
It is a subject through which many skills can be developed - in particular the practical skills involved in planning, preparing, cooking and serving food. All Key Stage 3 pupils study Home Economics three periods each week throughout the year. Pupils have a experience of practical activities in which they are encouraged to develop a range of skills, problem solving, working with others and time management.
At the end of Key Stage 3, all pupils have the opportunity to select the subject for further study at Key Stage 4 and beyond.
Key Stage 4
Key Stage 4 pupils follow the CCEA GCSE Home Economics specification for Food & Nutrition, which focuses on Diet and Health.
Component 1 is assessed through a 2 hour written exam weighting 50 %.
Component 2 is a Controlled Assessment weighting 50 %.
Students are given the opportunity to complete practical cookery and a written task.